(from APEGS member-in-training)
If you are on this page, then you are already licensed as a Geoscientist-in-Training or an Engineer-in-Training with APEGS and you are ready to apply for professional membership (P.Geo. or P.Eng.).
To apply for your professional status you must meet these five requirements:
- You must have 4 years of work experience approved by the Experience Review Committee.
- NOTICE: A new experience reporting system for engineers-in-training comes into effect on January 1, 2019 and the information on that page will no longer apply. Any "first time" experience reports in the current system must be received at the APEGS office completed in full by December 31, 2018 in order to be assessed under the outgoing system. See the Competency-Based Assessment web page for all the details on the upcoming change.
- You must have passed the Professional Practice Exam
- You must meet the Good Character Guideline
- You must have three professional geoscientists or professional engineers who can act as references (names are requested in the professional member application)
- English competence. If your first language is not English and you have not completed a university degree at an institution where the language of instruction was English, then you must provide proof of competence in English*. See the English Competence Policy details.
NEW - at the bottom of this page, see the YouTube video of the brief overview on how to become a P.Eng. or P.Geo. with APEGS.
The Member-In-Training page explains the requirements a member-in-training must meet before he or she may apply as a professional member.
Once your work experience has been approved and you have passed the PPE, you may apply for professional membership. You may submit your application at the same time as your PPE application and/or your final experience report, if that is the last requirement to be met.
Step 1: Submit Professional Member Application
On-line Professional Member Application (from APEGS member-in-training)
You may apply online as a professional member using a credit card. This is the quickest and preferred way to apply. You will be re-directed to the on-line application system by clicking the link. Choose the application type "Professional Member from APEGS Member-in-Training".
You may apply using the printed application form only if a company is paying the application fee by cheque or the company who is paying the application fee does not pay GST (such as Government of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Watershed Authority). Do not submit the paper application form if you apply on-line.
APEGS will contact your professional references. Reference forms are exchanged directly between referees and the APEGS office. No action is required on your part.
After your application is approved by the Registrar you will be notified by automatic email on how to check your application status and pay annual fees.
You have the privilege of using one of the protected titles only after you have been approved.
After you have paid annual fees, your stamp will be delivered which can take up to one week (longer if outside Canada).
Your certificate will be delivered after it is signed which can take up to six weeks. You do not need your certificate in your possession in order to start using one of the protected titles.
Is anything else required?
You may submit the following applications at the same time as your professional member application, if they are required:
I am an appropriately licensed individual (or have applied) and need Permission to Consult
I am applying on behalf of a company for a Certificate of Authorization
If during the registration process APEGS discovers that an applicant or member may not meet the Good Character Guideline then action will be taken.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Professional Member (from APEGS member-in-training) applications can be found here.
If you have any questions concerning the application process for professional membership, please contact Alex Chabun, Registration Assistant at the APEGS office: Local Regina 306-525-9547, Toll free 1-800-500-9547 or by email at email@example.com.
Video - Brief overview of how to become a P.Eng. or P.Geo.
Below is a YouTube video on how to become a P.Eng. or P.Geo.
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan
Achieving a Safe & Prosperous Future Through Engineering & Geoscience